A 10-year-old Vietnamese boy who fell into the narrow open shaft of a concrete pile at a construction site on New Year’s Eve has been confirmed dead, state media said on Wednesday.
Rescuers spent nearly 100 hours trying to free Ly Hao Nam from the 35-meter-long support pillar sunk into the ground, but without success, online newspaper VnExpress said, citing a local government official.
“The authorities have determined that the victim has died and are trying to recover his body for the funeral,” said the vice president of Dong Thap’s southern province, Doan Tan Buu.
Nam was heard crying for help shortly after he fell into the empty concrete pile, which has a diameter of 25cm, on Saturday at a bridge construction site in Mekong Delta province where he had been scavenging with friends for scrap .
Earlier on Wednesday, Vietnamese Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh had urged rescuers and local authorities to mobilize all necessary equipment and forces, the government said.