If you’re still in holiday mode, looking for a delicious dessert to bake before your New Year’s weight loss journey begins, this delicious Banana Cream Meringue recipe is for you.
You can make this delicious treat in less than 90 minutes.
Easy Banana Meringue Recipe:
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 1/2 bananas – ripe but not overripe
- 6 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- individual pre-baked pie crust
SEE ALSO: Recipe of the day: Pork Chops Chutney Mayonnaise with creamy mash
- Separate the whites from the yolks. Reserve the egg whites for the meringue.
- Add all the egg yolks, milk, sugar, cornstarch and salt to a medium saucepan. Whisk the mixture just enough to combine the ingredients well. Cook over medium heat until the mixture begins to boil or until it thickens. Stir constantly to prevent burning on the bottom.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla until well combined.
- Add the sliced bananas and toss until evenly distributed.
- Pour into a pre-baked pie crust.
- Start making the meringue topping by placing the egg whites in a bowl. Beat until the egg whites form soft peaks
- Add the salt and begin adding the sugar one or two tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition until all the sugar has been added.
- When all the sugar has been added, continue beating the meringue until stiff peaks form. Add the cream of tartar and beat just enough to combine. Don’t overdo it at this point.
- Pour the meringue over the hot pie filling and spread it evenly, making sure the meringue touches the crust around the edges so there are no gaps between it and the crust.
- Form peaks in the meringue, then place on the lower rack in an oven preheated to 350°F (176°C). Bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until the meringue is lightly golden. Watch it carefully as it will brown quickly.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool completely before serving so that the filling has time to thicken properly.
* This recipe is found at www.recipetips.com.