US Military Police enforce driving ban in snowy Buffalo

Authorities kept people off snowy roads in Buffalo as officials continue to count fatalities three days after western New York’s deadliest storm in at least two generations.

Even as suburban roads and most major roads in the area reopened, Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz warned that police would be stationed at Buffalo entrances and major intersections because some drivers ignored the driving ban.

More than 30 people have been reported dead in the region, officials said, including seven storm-related deaths announced Tuesday by Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown’s office.

The toll surpasses that of the historic Blizzard of 1977, blamed for killing as many as 29 people in an area known for harsh winter weather.

Resident Greg Monett took to social media to ask for help removing a 6-foot pile of snow from the end of his Buffalo driveway so he could receive dialysis treatment on Tuesday.

“This has been a nightmare,” he said.

The electricity had been out for a while at his family’s home, he said, so relatives used a gas stove to keep warm, a practice he acknowledged was dangerous.

For more, watch the Euronews report in the video above.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *