Prince Harry, Meghan Markle dismiss Sun apology for offending column as ‘PR stunt’

KEY POINTS
  • Britain’s regulator the Independent Press Standards Organization said it had received more than 17,500 complaints.
  • It is the highest number of complaints about any article since it was established in 2014.
  • Prince Harry and Meghan Markle said the newspaper had not contacted her to apologize.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle, have rejected an apology from the tabloid newspaper The Sun for publishing a highly critical column of Meghan as a “PR stunt” and said the paper was not ‘had contacted her to apologize.

In the column, TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson wrote of Meghan: “At night, I can’t sleep as I lie there, gritting my teeth and dreaming of the day she’s paraded naked through the streets of every city in Great Britain. . As people sing: ‘Shame!’ and throw lumps of excrement at him.”

Britain’s regulator the Independent Press Standards Organization (IPSO) said on Tuesday it had received more than 17,500 complaints, the most about any article since it was set up in 2014.
“While the public absolutely deserve the publication’s regret for their dangerous comments, we wouldn’t be in this situation if The Sun didn’t continue to exploit and capitalize on hate, violence and misogyny,” said a spokesman for Harry and Meghan.

“A real apology would be a change in their coverage and ethical standards for everyone. Unfortunately, we’re not holding our breath.”

The Sun, in its apology, said: “At The Sun we regret the publication of this article and are truly sorry.”
It said the article had been removed from its website and archives.

More than 60 lawmakers signed a letter written by Caroline Nokes, chair of Parliament’s Women and Equalities Select Committee, to the editor of The Sun warning that these articles contribute to a climate of hatred and violence against women.

In a statement posted on Twitter on Monday, Clarkson said he was “horrified to have caused so much harm” and would be “more careful in the future”.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex stepped down from royal duties in March 2020, saying they wanted to make new lives in America away from media harassment.

In a Netflix documentary series, Meghan spoke about how her treatment by the media had left her feeling suicidal and worried about whether she and her children were safe.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *