Apart from eating as much as we can (well, some of us) during the festive season we also have to keep in mind when making festive dishes using South African ingredients, like this delicious dessert cake recipe.
Mince pies are a traditional sweet pie originating from the English, like its sister dessert Christmas pie or fruit pudding, it is a generous filling of “mince” consisting of nuts, spices and tallow.
Mince pies may not be as popular as they are in the UK, but they certainly have a loyal following in South Africa. If you want to make your own mince pie, this mince pie recipe has South African flavors with the aromatic scent of rooibos.
It will certainly intrigue the palate.
Minced cakes recipe with a touch of Rooibos
- 1 sachet (500g) of dried fruit cake mix
- 160 ml (2/3 c) white sugar
- 250 ml (1 cup) rooibos tea
- 125 ml () c) brandy
- 250 g of butter or margarine
- 250 ml (1 c) icing sugar
- 2 extra large eggs
- 15 ml (1 T) vanilla essence
- 4 x 250 ml (4 c) cake flour
- 20 ml (4 t) baking powder
- 2 ml (½ t) salt
- Powdered sugar
- Icing sugar and food powder to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Spray 2 cupcake liners (12 holes each) with cooking spray.
Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and cook for at least 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. wow
ALSO TRY: Recipe of the day: It’s time to make this Christmas cake
- Beat the butter and sugar; add the eggs, one at a time and beat well with an electric mixer.
- Add the vanilla essence. Sieve the dry ingredients; add to butter mixture and mix until smooth. Divide in half and rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out one half to about 2mm thick. Press circles about 10 cm and line each cavity of the muffin tins.
- Put in the fridge.
- Fill each with the filling. Roll out the other half of the dough and cut out stars or trees with a cookie cutter.
- Place on top of the filling and dust with a little icing sugar. Bake for 12-15 minutes until done and golden. Cool and dust with icing sugar and baking powder. Store in an airtight container.
Press half of the dough into a baking tray and spread it over the filling. Spread the rest of the dough on top of the filling and bake for about 20-25 minutes until golden. Cut into squares.
This recipe is courtesy of SA Rooibos Council.