Amir Nasr-Azadani: Football union ‘affected’ by reports Iran player faces possible execution


World football’s union FIFPRO said it was “shocked and sickened” by reports that Iranian footballer Amir Nasr-Azadani faces the possibility of execution “after campaigning for women’s rights and basic freedom in your country”.

“We stand in solidarity with Amir and call for the immediate removal of his punishment,” FIFPRO said in a statement posted on Twitter on Monday.

Nasr-Azadani has been charged with being a member of an “armed group” that was involved in the deaths of three security officers during protests in the central Iranian city of Isfahan, the chief judge said of the city, Asadullah Jafari, according to the state news agency. IRNA Sunday.

In the report, Jafari said Nasr-Azadani had been accused of rioting against the authorities. He has been in custody since November 27, but no sentence has yet been handed down for the accused, the report added.

It is unclear when his trial is scheduled to begin.

Anti-government protests have swept Iran since September, initially sparked by the case of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini, who died after being arrested by the state’s morality police for allegedly not wearing the hijab properly.

Public anger over Amini’s death has combined with a host of grievances against the Islamic Republic’s oppressive regime to fuel demonstrations even in the face of harsh punishments, and possibly a death sentence.

The 26-year-old footballer, from the historic city of Isfahan, had played for Iranian professional football clubs Rah-Ahan, Tractor and Gol Reyhan, London-based activist IranWire reported.

According to Iran’s penal code, his conviction could carry the death penalty if it is proven that the accused had used a firearm, otherwise he could be sentenced to prison.

Iran executed a second man allegedly involved in the nationwide protest movement after he was convicted last month of fatally stabbing two security officials, Mizan Online, a news agency affiliated with Iran’s judiciary, reported on Monday , and the semi-official news agency Tasmin.

This followed the execution of another man last Thursday, in the first known execution since the protests began.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *